Communications in its multiple forms pervades today’s business environment, with numerous job interviews, conference calls, meetings, product presentations, workshops, and public events, more and more leaders realise the importance of developing good interpersonal communication skills within their company. Yet the majority of executives and employees continue to neglect and overlook the use of public speaking, leaving the advancements and better career opportunities for those who take proactive steps to master the art of speaking in public.
The truth is that you might have the best products or services, years of experience or an outstanding business idea, but if you do not communicate this to your target audiences, you are limiting your effectiveness. All too often, the very best and inspiring stories in organisations and companies go untold because of people’s reluctance to or fear of taking the stage.
Whether your goal is to enhance your professional growth, take your business to the next level, or inspire, persuade and motivate other people to follow your lead, you will have to learn how to convey your ideas in front of a group of people in a clear, structured and captivating manner.
The art of public speaking holds many practical benefits that go far beyond delivering a project presentation or holding a successful meeting.
Developing your communication skills and learning to speak in public:
- Opens up new opportunities for career advancement
- Positions you as an authority
- Sets you apart from others
- Attracts the right customers to your business
- Presents technical or business information effectively
- Produces a faster sales cycle
- Allows you to effectively market your business or promote your products to larger audiences
- Improves internal communication
- Helps you to easily assume leadership and train others
- Increases employees’ productivity
- Prepares you for spontaneous speaking challenges (e.g. delivering a speech at short notice)
- Establishes greater credibility and helps your clients’ loyalty
- Motivates and persuades other people to reach and attain professional goals
- Makes you a desirable guest on local, regional and national conferences, seminars and public speaking events
In my one personal joinery my important values are:
• Foster open and honest collaborative environments
• Seek challenges and inspire others
• Execute and deliver sustainable improvement
I have developed my own communication skills through over 10 years running transformation programmes; managing a combination of technology, process and organisational change to deliver solutions which improve and enhance customer relationships.
Outside work I am a counsellor for a children’s charity, and I help my peers develop their public speaking skills through Toastmasters.
In 2016, I won the equivalent of an annual national public speaking contest to become the Toastmasters District 91 Speech Evaluation Champion.
Competing against thousands of members across England and Wales to deliver an analytical speech that was encouraging, logical and educational.
Want to stay up to date, subscribe to my newsletter below. No spam – promise.